Deciding on end of year report card comments can be a difficult process. Often you find yourself in a position where you find it hard to communicate what you really think about a pupil and you end up writing something generic. It may be that you are hesitant because a the potential reaction from the parents or maybe because you believe that what you write should be encouraging. Here are some guidelines to help you decide on how to go about this task :
- A well written progress check should not only consider progress but also suggest the next steps to improve learning.
- Avoid using edubabble – instead ensure that what you write is clear and understandable by the average parent.
- Always try and start off with something positive in the first box – no matter how hard !
- Consider how you would feel if you were a parent and reading what you have written.
- Always give yourself plenty of time to write your reports – the last thing you need in a stressful job like teaching is more stress.